Moving along

by midge 2. July 2016 02:35

 

I'm pretty tired, I put in some time today. I haven't been doing a write up everyday, so I'm just going to focus on what I got done today. I started off with the logic for determining who wins the stratego battles, pretty straightforward. But then the rendering was bugging me... it was just too slow. I stepped away from the computer for a while and got the hunch that I was probably creating redundant sprites that I was supposed to be looking up/ updating.

So after every redraw, I spit out the sprite count. Lo and behold, I had a shit ton too many sprites. That took quite a while to fix. Its not my cleanest code ever, I really should go back and organize/refactor etc. The rendering issues have been more of a pain than the game logic by far. I guess that makes sense because I never really read up on spritekit much, I just worked off of the demo and got working until I started having problems.

 

So anyways, now you can move pieces around and the piece logic is applied. The biggest thing bugging me is there is a bit of lag between selecting where to move to, and the piece actually moving there. I want to test on actual devices to see if that goes away.

I know that I've come pretty far in a relatively short time, but I feel like I'm still working on basics. There's still quite a bit to work on, I'll probably do detecting end game conditions and restart, that's pretty easy.

annnnnnd nap-time.

 

Tags:

Comments are closed

About the author

Hi, I'm Midge.

Month List

Page List